Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ruby: A Novel by Ann Hood

I wanted to read this book and like it. It is the second book I had found of Ann Hood’s and I was looking forward to digging in.

The book is about Olivia, a new widow, and Ruby, a pregnant fifteen year old. It started out just fine, but then as Ruby started discussing her drug use and her sex partners I found myself weary and discouraged. The book was just relating what is happening in the lives of many teenagers in our country, but I find that to be so sad.

It was a good book. Lessons learned; yada yada. I just came away wondering what will become of the young people of this world.

A side message to all of my friends that tell me to quit reading books about widows. I have always read fiction books that deal with real life issues. It is reassuring to read books about widows in my age range. I don’t know very many widows close to my age, so I can relate to these characters in the books I read.

No comments: