Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Contract Says

The foundation repair work is done on my house. Overall, I am pleased with the work. The men cleaned up the job site each day, made sure that caution tape was over all the areas where it was necessary, etc. My biggest dissatisfaction with the overall project was that I was told that I would have at least one person on site that spoke English. There wasn't anyone on the job site that spoke enough English for me to understand what they were saying. Usually I was able to get my wishes across with a lot of pointing, but I still worried about whether or not either one of us understood the other.

When the work was completed the man that I assumed was the foreman of the project came to the door and pointed to where I owed him money and said check. I retrieved my contract and pointed to plumbing test and engineer's report and said "no check, not done." He smiled and we went through the whole thing about five times before he decided I really wasn't going to give him a check.

Today a lady called from the company and asked me if I was satisfied with the job and was there anything else they could do for me. I said that they could complete the plumbing test and the engineer's report. She said that she would make the necessary calls and see what she could do to make sure those were items were completed. She then asked when they could expect the final payment. I told her they could expect the final payment when they had fulfilled their contract by performing the plumbing test and supplying me with an engineer's report. She said thank you and hung up.

My contract says that I will get a plumbing test and an engineer's report. No check until that is done folks.

I have also made a contact with myself. My contact says that I will do my best not to get ripped off by any repair persons or service companies. I think giving them a check now would break my contract.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Don't pay a dime until the job is finished.