Sunday, September 14, 2008

"Burn After Reading"


The boys and I went to see "Burn After Reading" today. Yes, I know it is rated "R" and I seldom let my youngest see "R" rated movies, but it was the Coen brothers.

It was a great. There really is a lot of deep meaning to this movie, and the boys and I had a terrific discussion about the movie and the events that led up to what happened to each of the characters.

There were some really terrific laughs, but I really would not consider this to be a comedy. There were two really scenes that were violent, and I have probably have seen worse violence on television but this violence came completely out of no where thus making it all the more shocking and sad.

Whereas this may not be my favorite Coen brother's movie, it is up close to the top right now.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am torn between "Raising Arizona", "Oh Brother where art thou" and "The Big Lobowski"

I am leaning towards "Oh Brother..."

What about you?

Cheryl said...

"Oh Brother..." just because the music is so fabulous. We used some of the music from that movie at Raymond's memorial.

"Burn After Reading" loved the lessons that can be learned.

"The Big Lebowski" had Sam Elliott, so of course that is right at the top.

Maybe "Intolerable Cruelty" number four.

"Raising Arizona" terrific laughs.

"Barton Fink" was strange.

Never finished watching "Blood Simple."

"Fargo" was enjoyable.

Haven't seen "Ladykillers" and "No Country for Old Men" yet, or "The Man Who Wasn't There," but they are on my list.

I went a long time without seeing any movies and I am just now catching up.