Thursday, December 31, 2009

I Don't Mind Sharing, But...


One of the best gifts I received Christmas 2008 was a beautiful green afghan knitted by Loni.  She spent a lot of time on it and carried it for many months to complete it in time for me, so besides being beautiful, it means a lot to me.

It is the perfect nap cover since I like a cover on me to nap even on days when the temperature is over 100.  It is a perfect cover for watching television in my cold house, and my friends will tell you I keep a cold house. 

It is because I keep a cold house that I don't mind sharing my afghan or one of the many quilts I keep in the living room when friends come over for an evening.  Loni, Mina, and Jill have all used my afghan at one time or another and I am happy for them to snuggle with it as long as they don't try to take it with them when they leave.  It is all part of being family.

I was quite shocked the other night though when one of the usual college kids that hangs here on holidays walked into the room and took the afghan off the back of the couch and walked back into the playroom as he told me over his shoulder that he was cold.  It was all I could do not to snatch it out of his hands.  I was not prepared to share it with a teenage boy and have it get boy cooties!  I ran into the playroom and offered to turn up the heat, but he said no, the afghan was plenty warm.  I wanted to scream. 

I walked back into the living room and tried to think of a polite way to snatch my afghan back without seeming like a crazed lunatic or worse an ungracious host.  If I turned up the heat, he might sweat on my afghan.  If I took him another blanket instead he might be insulted.  We hugged when he came in so I knew he didn't stink.  He wasn't eating or drinking anything so I knew he wouldn't soil my afghan.  I just didn't want him to have it or to share it with any of the other boys in the room. 

I finally decided to turn up the heat on that side of the house since it was almost midnight and the heat was about to go off for the night and the boys tend to stay until about 3 a.m.  After about 30 minutes I went in and the afghan was sitting on the recliner while the boys were gathered around the table playing cards.  I casually picked it up and took it back to its rightful place in the living room. 

Next time the college crowd comes over I will make sure to have the afghan wrapped around me and cheap fleece blankets available for the playroom. 

2 comments:

Loni said...

ROFL...... at least it's getting a lot of love.

Unknown said...

See .... everybody loves the little afghan that was made with love. It is soooo very cozy, but I know better than to do anything but snuggle with it at your house.