Sunday, December 6, 2009

I Just Wanted to Change the Light Bulb

How long does it take the oldest and me to change a light bulb?  1 1/2 hours.

The oldest stopped by today and I asked him to help me change the light bulb in my bedroom and I wanted to wash the glass fixture.  I told him it wouldn't be a big deal.  Ha...Famous last words.

When he went to take the glass off to get to the bulbs the whole fixture fell off the ceiling and was dangling by the wires. Turns out that the man that installed it did not put the bolt in the middle of the fixture to keep it attached to the ceiling when you turned the glass.

The oldest went to get the tools, ladder, etc while I held the fixture and tried to figure out what to do next.  When he came in with all the tools we realized we would have to actually disconnect it from the wires and ground to find the right size bolt which meant turning off the breaker.

The oldest went to turn off the breaker while I held the light fixture.  Unfortunately, whoever wired our house originally was very creative about it.  It doesn't flow in a line. The breaker to my bedroom turned off the hall, and part of the living room, but not the bedrooms next to mine.  When the power went off to the hall and living room the carbon monoxide detector went off as did the phone system.  So we had beeping and long screeching going. 

I held the fixture while the oldest went to try to shut up the carbon monoxide detector, only he couldn't.  I thought I was in the "Friends" episode where Phoebe could not get her smoke detector to stop beeping.  I suggested we just get back to what we were doing and not worry about the screeching.  Of course that was before I knew how long it would take to get the fixture back up.  At one point I thought it had stopped screeching, but evidently I had just lost the ability to hear that range of sound because the oldest assured me it was still screeching.

It took a while to find a bolt that would fit, then we couldn't get the fixture back up.

I finally had to leave it to my oldest while I went to get ready to hear the Itzel's at church.

By the time I was ready to go, the light was back up and working just fine, but the next time the bulb burns out, I think I will just buy another lamp.

3 comments:

Loni said...

well, at least you didn't have to have the fire dept out to resolve any smoke/fire issues with your adventure with the light... did he fix the outside one too ?

Laurie said...

Oh dear! Some things are so frustrating. Brad is leaving town, I told him I wanted all the smoke detector batteries changed before he left. He puts the ladder away and the chirping starts. He brings the ladder back in, replaces those again. Pretty soon, more chirping, finally exchanges the "new" batteries for the old ones. He said "next time, I'm not changing the batteries until they chirp in the first place"

Deborah said...

Sounds like the two of you were stuck in a bad episode of any of a variety of sitcoms...