Thursday, June 21, 2007

“Find Me” by Rosie O’Donnell (Copyright 2002)

It is no secret that I enjoy Rosie O’Donnell. I love how outspoken she is, whether I agree with her or not. I miss my daily shot of her on the “View.” I am well aware that there are people in the world that hate her because of her lifestyle, her mouth, and even her money, and I find all of that very sad.

I was not aware of the book “Find Me” until I noticed it in Rosie’s store by accident one day while exploring her blog. I immediately checked to see if my local library had a copy and put it on hold when I saw it in the library catalog. I picked “Find Me’ up the next day and started on it immediately. It turned out to be a real “page-turner” book.

The book is described as “part memoir, part mystery” and that is an apt description. I found it completely fascinating. It is the story of Rosie and a long distance relationship with a stranger that comes into her life through her work with an adoption agency. I will give a hint that will not spoil the book, the person she forms a relationship is not the mother or father of one of her adopted children.

This book really allowed me to look at some situations in my life. I found myself drawing parallels between some situations I have found myself in and what Rosie had going on in her life at that time. It has been a week since I read the book, and I still find myself thinking about certain phrases. The phrases are not necessarily new and earth shattering, but they did make me think as I related them to the book and to my life.

Here are some of the phrases that haunt me.

“Saving the world is a lofty goal and an impossible feat.”

“Swimming in others’ pain only delays the journey through your own.”

“I have many parts but only one self.”

“Nothing happens by chance.”

Yes, these phrases haunt me, but even with the words in my head I have managed to get involved with others and their pain or problems this week. The only difference now is that I seem to be a little more aware and I have managed to make a few more compartments in my brain to turn off the issues of others at night, which has led to better sleep.

Now I just need to “find me.”

No comments: