Friday, April 30, 2010

"Daring Cheryl"


I have been trying to pick a theme for my 51st year.  

My 50th year was the "year of me." It was a good year.  I enjoyed doing things for myself. 

As April approached this year I gave it a great deal of thought but was still struggling with something that just "felt right," when I read "Daring Chloe" by Laura Jensen Walker.

I have always had a lot of "fears," so I have decided to tackle some of them this year. 

Some of my fears are just silly, others I just have never tried, and some I just did not want to do alone. Here is the list I have to date, and I will be adding to it as the year goes on.
  1. Drive to DFW Airport.  Yes, I knew I could drive to the airport, but the signs always freak me out.  I cannot read fast enough to find where I need to go while driving.  Recently my BFF needed a ride home from the airport and I just could not do it.  I started sweating and feeling sick to my stomach, etc.  I finally had to call Loni and ask her to do it. I decided that was just silly. 

    I am proud to say I have already completed this "DARE."  Loni guided me the other night and I drove to the airport and picked up Stan.  It was a great help that he came in on a Sunday night.  Loni was the perfect guide, talking me through the airport and explaining how it was laid out etc.  I think I could do it by myself now if I had to in a crunch.  I know I would still do better if someone went with me and helped with the signs if it was during a busy part of the day.
  2. Change a tire.
  3. Drive to Fort Worth Zoo.
  4. Ride Dart train to Downtown Dallas.
  5. Try new food at regular restaurants. 
There will be more things added as I think of things I want to DARE myself to do, but this is enough to get started.  

My friends have all agreed to support me as I DARE myself.  I think it will be a good year.


No comments: