Tuesday, January 1, 2008

No Goals for Me

I got the dreaded email today. The first meeting of TOPS will be about our goals for the year. At no time are we required to state our goals or share, but I hate it. It makes me remember better times.

I refuse to set goals for myself. It is just too depressing.

I used to set goals. Raymond and I both did, but then cancer entered our lives.

Even after cancer struck, we would set goals. We would get excited about making plans to reach our goal and BAM cancer would do something to prevent us from reaching towards our goal. This happened to us about four or five times before I decided that goals were dangerous. It got so I would have an anxiety attack just thinking about setting a goal.

I am not saying that I am going to sit back and let everything stay status quo. It just means that I am not going to speak about my goals out loud. Something bad might be listening.

I am a firm believer that "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." (John Lennon). If I don’t say my plans out loud then life will just be life. Anything else that happens will just be extra life.

No comments: