Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sitting Up

It is 3:16 a.m. and I am up with a sick child. The youngest is complaining of stomach issues and I am sitting up while he tries to sleep on the couch.

I would try to sleep too, and may in a moment, but he gets up every five minutes and that worries me.

Sitting up in the chair with a sick child brings back all those memories of all the nights I sat up with Raymond. It makes me thankful that this is just a stomachache.

I will live through a night without sleep. I don't know if I could live through one of my children suffering the way Raymond did.

When Raymond was diagnosed with a cancer that is normally considered a childhood cancer we both so thankful that it wasn't one of our boys. In fact, as soon as we came back from getting the diagnosis I made an appointment with their pediatrician and asked him what the chances were of one of them developing osteosarcoma. Even though their doctor reassured me that it was not hereditary, my heart still skips a few beats whenever one of them complains of pain in their arms or legs.

My youngest is being brave and telling me to go on to bed as there is nothing I can do for him. I think I will sit up a little longer and county my blessings.

No comments: