Saturday, May 10, 2008

Graduation Day: May 9, 2008

On Friday, May 9, 2008 my oldest son graduated with Honors from the Texas Academy of Math and Science.

He worked hard and although we don’t know his grades for this semester, he had two 4.0 semesters and another semester with all A’s and one very high B. He thinks he may have a B in World Lit this time, but the rest are very high A’s if the reports sent home were any indication.

I am very proud of all his accomplishments the last 2 years. He had 132 hours of community service, he received the Staff Choice award, he designed a website for his club, he was an executive of his club, and he participated in the Science Bowl two years in a row. He came away without any disciplinary points on his record. I find all of this amazing since his Dad died at the end of May, 2006 and he went to live at TAMS in August, 2006.

When you graduate from TAMS you get to write what they read about you as you cross the stage to receive your diploma. After some of his accomplishments, my son thanked his Mom, Dad, and “his brother’s name.” I was so thrilled that he included Raymond in his thank you. It meant the world to me.

I thought last night would be really hard since Raymond and I really had a goal of Raymond living long enough to see his sons graduate. This has been on my mind a lot, and I have been extremely depressed about the fact that Raymond would not be by me last night. However, two things happened that made it easier on me at the graduation.

The first thing that happened was the bell. When I was working on my container garden on Thursday night feeling sorry for myself, my boys, and Raymond, the bell started clanging. Once again, none of the other chimes were making a sound, but the bell, well it was giving me what for in only a way Raymond could. I walked out to the bell, and not a leaf on the tree it is in was blowing, but the bell was swinging back and forth just as hard as it could. Message delivered. Get over it. Quit moping. Enjoy life.

The second thing happened yesterday afternoon as I was pulling into my driveway in order to run in and change clothes for the graduation ceremony. As I started up the driveway there was a large hawk circling the driveway and dipping its wing at me. After about five circles it headed northwest…towards Denton where the ceremony was being held. Message delivered. Hurry up, I’m already heading that way. I’m going to be there when my boy graduates.

Yes, Raymond and I were very proud of our oldest boy on his graduation day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post brought tears to my eyes.
I'm so happy for you and your family!!

XOXO
Catmom

journeyinfinite said...

Congratulations on your oldest's graduation :-D

Loni said...

I'm so proud of my "little brother"... and now you have 2 College Kids... though I suspect he may finish up his Master's Degree before I finish mine... or maybe it will be neck and neck, LOL.