Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Only One Needs to be in Charge

Yesterday the nurse came in and told us that my Mom could have clear liquids and ice chips. I gave her ice chips all afternoon, but no clear liquids because I was unclear as to if I was suppose to order them off the menu, or wait until the nurse ordered them for her.

Today, Mom was complaining about her side hurting and how hungry she was this morning and wanted to know why she hadn't been giving anything to eat. I asked the nurse about Mom's diet and she said absolutely nothing by mouth. I told her what we had been told the day before and she said she would look at the chart. She was back soon saying that yes, a clear liquid diet had been ordered. She soon brought in jello, apple juice, and chicken broth for Mom. Mom downed it all and was so happy.

About an hour later, the surgeon came in and he was NOT happy. Evidently the ICU doctor had changed her diet without talking to the surgeon. The surgeon said she should not have had anything by mouth for two more days, and that this was going to set her back by at least two days.

I think that out of her 4-5 doctors, one should clearly be the one in charge and have final say in the orders. If Mom's patch fails because she ate I will feel horrible, but not nearly as bad as the doctor that placed the order, because my brother will probably take care of him.




No comments: