Sunday, August 31, 2008

I Enjoy Doing For Others More

Even though I have been trying to do more things for myself, I have also been making a big effort to do more things for others. My friend "J" has given me a huge opportunity to help her help others and I appreciate it very much.

"J"'s son is in the army and was injured in Afghanistan and still recovering. He is only 18 and "J" has been learning all kinds of things to do to help our soldiers. One of the organizations she has affiliated herself with is "Soldiers' Angels." www.soldiersangels.com Through reading about their work, and knowing what her own son went through, she decided to make "no sew" blankets for the wounded soldiers. She asked me to help since she had never actually tried to make anything like that before.

Since "J" and I started working on the blankets, 4 have been completed, and we have material to make 3 more, thanks to a generous contribution from another one of my friends. We have fun making them together. We make them at my house, and usually have a break for a brownie or two between during the making of a blanket.

Today we took the finished blankets to Church and the Pastor blessed them before we mail them off for the soldiers.

The finished blankets look like this:





As much fun as it was to do a few things just for myself this past week, helping "J" with these blankets helped me feel as if I was doing what I was meant to do in life, helping others.


1 comment:

Loni said...

These are just grand blankets! They look comfy, cozy, and oh so patriotic. I'm sure the soldiers will enjoy them.