Saturday, February 23, 2013

Brains vs Heart

When it comes to love I allow my brain to rule over my heart.  This has caused heartbreak on both sides at times, but has proven in almost all cases to have protected me from making huge mistakes that could have lasted years. 

I am not saying that my brain reacts first in these matters.  I have certainly been swept off my feet and made mistakes, some which lasted way longer than they should have, but eventually my brain does take over and allows me to step back and go "Oh I don't think so."

Sometimes I envy those who can follow their heart and ignore their brain.  I look at them and think "Wow, they look so happy," even in instances when I know they are not even close to happy.

I have dated heart followers, it never ended pretty as they could not understand why I couldn't just allow things to go on as they were as there were no problems in the relationship.  The heart followers  I have known never wanted to think about the practical side of a long term relationship.  I am always thinking about whether or not I can be around or live with annoying habits long term.  

Maybe it is because I believe that when you commit to someone it is for life.  I know that it can't always be that way, but that is the attitude I want to at least start with in the beginning. 

No comments: