Thursday, February 14, 2013

Not a Fan

I am not a fan of Valentine's Day. Never have been.

I have had guys in my life go out of their way to make Valentine's Day special.  I know I have received wonderful gifts on Valentine's Day such as jewelry, roses, expensive chocolates, etc., but I am still not a fan. 
 
Valentine's Day just always seemed to put a lot of pressure on a relationship back in my dating days, and once I was married I only had to open my eyes and see Raymond's smile and hear his "Morning Beautiful" to know that I was the luckiest woman in the world. 

Raymond showed me everyday how much he loved me. He also always did wonderful small things that let me know how much he loved me.  Like bringing home my favorite candy bar tied to a beautiful house plant for my collection, or something special for my fish tank just to let me know he was thinking of me during the day.  He never stopped letting me know how much he loved and appreciated me.

Now that Raymond is gone, I really don't like Valentine's Day, especially when I see men and women just buying something to have something to give to someone.  It just doesn't say love to me. So I pretty much can't wait each year for February 14 to be over.  

This year, I spent pretty much the whole day angry.  I woke up to a text this morning that said "Happy Singles Day!"  It was from someone who really should have known better, not only because she knows my story, but because of her profession.  

I did not choose to be single.  I would do anything to have Raymond back with me. I miss him every second of every day.  I really am dumbfounded by how insensitive that message was, and the fact that this person would never understand that it was insensitive. 
I have let it go now, but every time I think I have heard every insensitive idiotic thing this woman can say, she surprises me yet again.  

Please do not get me wrong, I appreciate the cards and gifts I received this year, and I do understand that some people love Valentine's Day and making it special for others.  I am just not one of those people.

No comments: