Monday, April 23, 2007

A Good Birthday

I had a good birthday, but I missed being with my oldest, especially since we share a birthday.

I was able to have face time with some of my favorite people on my birthday, and the day after I was able to spend some quality time with a friend that has been there for me every time I’ve called on her. Our relationship goes beyond being “best” friends. It was a good birthday.

I woke up on my birthday and felt my “birthday” hug from Raymond. It made me happy all day.

Raymond always managed to give me a birthday gift that was special to me. He would find something that went with whatever hobby I had at the time. He always wanted me to enjoy my day.

There was something else Raymond did to make my birthday, Christmas, or Mother’s Day special for me. He would go through my kitchen and find whatever needed to be replaced and go out and purchase it for me. Spatulas, chipped mixing bowls, knives, measuring cups, etc., he always wanted me to have quality, well-maintained equipment.

I will probably never have unchipped mixing bowls again, because I won’t spend money to replace something that can still be functional and is not seen by others. When I took down my big glass mixing bowl yesterday I noticed it had a small chip on the rim. At first I was afraid I would break down in tears, but then I realized I was smiling. I was smiling because I was remembering how much Raymond loved me, and all the ways he showed me that love.

Yes, it was a good birthday, and, so far, 48 does not feel too bad.

No comments: