Thursday, April 5, 2007

Okay, I Bucked Up, Let’s Hope I Don’t Pass Out

It took me until today, Thursday, April 5, 2007 to get up the nerve, but I just hung up the phone from saying “yes, please come fix my foundation.” I do like the man I am dealing with, and I really do want the interior of my home to look better, but when I looked at the first estimate I made sure I was seated for fear I would swoon. The final estimate and contract will be for even more because I asked for steel piers instead of concrete ones. I hope he carries smelling salts with him.

The engineer said that I did not have to repair the foundation; I could just fix what was causing the problems, and then wait it out. He said that if I wasn’t selling the house, there was no reason to spend the money. What the engineer did not know is that I lived like that my whole life. My dad would let little repairs fall to the wayside, things that my mom or I would of liked to have done to enhance our living experience in the house but were not vital to the maintenance of the home, and then he would practically work himself to death making all the improvements and then some when he wanted to sell the house. I remember how angry I would get to think about strangers enjoying the things that I did not have the chance to enjoy. I am not going to do that in my own home. I will probably be in this house for at least five more years, so I want it to be pleasing to my eye, even if the cost of the repairs keeps me awake for weeks. I do not want to spend the money later so that some strangers will have walls without 5/8 inch cracks.

Now I have to buck up and finish my youngest child’s application to SMI.

No comments: