Thursday, July 19, 2007

True Words from a Song

“Is there someone you know,
You’re loving them so,
But taking them all for granted.
You may lose them one day,
Someone takes them away,
And they don’t hear the words you long to say”

Bread, “Everything I Own”

One of my best friends had been married a few years before Raymond and I got married. She and her husband always took at least one vacation a year without their spouse. One time I wanted to go see my parents and Raymond did not have the time. I said something about going without him for a few days and he told me that would not happen. He did not believe in separate vacations. He thought it was bad for a marriage. Later in our marriage I did take a few short trips without Raymond, but I always had at least one kid with me and it was usually because Raymond was physically unable to go with us. My friend, well, she and her husband ended up taking one too many vacations apart. He met someone else on a separate vacation and their marriage ended in divorce.

My friend’s marriage did not end in divorce simply because they took separate vacations, but I can’t help but think they were careless with their marriage. I have a lot of friends that seem to be careless with their marriages. So many people seem to be leading completely different lives from their spouses. I’m not saying that anyone should lose their identity when they get married. I just think that if you love someone enough to marry them, then you should share your life with them.

I have married friends that fill their lives with so many activities after work they don’t get home until about 9:00 p.m. and then between household chores and catching up with bills and such they are lucky to see their spouses for fifteen minutes before bed time. I pity them.

I admit that there were times in our marriage before kids where Raymond and I chose commitments that kept us apart more than we liked, but they were choices we made in order to benefit us as a family on down the road. Sometimes we chose to work a lot to try to get ahead, especially when I would be offered overtime to stay and finish projects. When Raymond decided to get his Master's before we had children in order to be able to get a higher paying position so I could stay home with the children, we knew we would be sacrificing time together. However, we always made sure we spent time together at least one day a weekend. Sometimes it would only be a couple of hours, but it allowed us to talk about what was going on and make plans for the future. I think when a couple talks about the future together it reinforces the fact that each of them is in the relationship for the long haul.

I hear friends say they got divorced because they grew apart from their spouse. I always wonder if they grew apart or just did not spend enough time together to stay connected.

I also think a lot of couples never learn that no matter how much you love someone, marriage is work. Raymond and I used to talk about that all the time. We would watch friends get divorced and look at how they had put their commitment to each other aside while they let their outside life consume them and before they knew it there were so many obstacles in the marriage they did not want to work to overcome them. I have never understood people that work so hard for a company but are not willing to work hard for the person that they love and are the other half of their children’s lives.

On the flip side, I don’t understand people that are married, without children, and are completely miserable because of how their spouse treats them, but they stay any way because they do not want to be alone. Verbal and physical abuse should not be tolerated. That is not love.

W hen you add children to the mix, then you have added another commitment. Once again, abuse should not be tolerated, but couples should work harder to stay together.

Love is precious, it should not be taken for granted, and it can be taken away, but it is a shame to throw it away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Cheryl,

Songs/music for me have always been an outlet.

Baby I don't want to know the reason why
But lately you don't talk to me
And darling I can't see me in your eyes
I hold you near
But you're so far away
And it's losing you I can't believe
To watch you leave
And let this feeling die

You alone
You alone are the living thing
That keeps me alive
And tomorrow
Tomorrow
If I'm here without your love
You know I can't survive
Only my Love
Only my love can raise you high above it all

Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love

We can take the darkness
And make it full of light
Let your love flow back to me
How can you leave and let this feeling die
Happy room
This happy room will be a lonely place
When you are gone
And I won't even have your shoulder
For the cryin' on
No other love
No other woman's love could be as true
I'm begging you
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't let it die
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love

Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Away
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Away
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
Away
Don't throw it all away
Our Love our love
Don't throw it all away
ahh ahh ahhhh

Robin and Barry Gibb 1978

Cheryl said...

Anonymous,
That is a rather ominous song you've quoted.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Ominous, well I guess you're right. It just relates to how important love is and how devastating it can be when we lose it, regardless of how that loss occurs. It just seems so frivolous when we take love lightly and take it all for granted.

There are so many more hopeful songs out there.

Well I heard you say you would love for a lifetime
And now you complain a lifetime just doesn’t feel right for you
Another casualty of casual love
Another soul out of place, a heart that gave up

Why do we break the promises we make?
Are we living for ourselves?

Don’t give up on love and throw it all away
Don’t give up on love and let it fall away
When did it become, so easy to run from your pain?
Don’t give up on love and throw it all away
Dont give up on love

Well I heard you say you can’t change a stubborn heart
Yea I can relate ‘cause that’s how I feel when I talk with you

Why should it take losing everything,
To realize it might be time to change?

Don’t give up on love and throw it all away
Don’t give up on love and let it fall away
When did it become, so easy to run from your pain?
Don’t give up on love and throw it all away

\\Your restless heart won’t win ‘cause you take but you don’t give
And you’ll keep moving on until you learn what love is//

Don’t give up on love and throw it all away
Don’t give up on love and let it fall away
Don’t give up on love...(echo)
Don't give up on love...(echo)

Yea Your restless heart won’t win ‘cause you take but you don’t give
And you’ll keep moving on until you learn what love is

Dont throw it all away...

Sanctus Real

I just love music! The old stuff and lots of the new stuff as well. I am just not much of a poet and there are so many wonderful writers out there.

Have a great day!

Sorry for being so ominous...

Cheryl said...

Like I'm not ominous at times? Feel free to be any way you want to be here. That is the whole point of this blog.

Isn't it funny how songs mean different things to us depending on our moods and where we are in our life when we hear it?

When I was in the middle of my first semester of 9th grade we moved from OH to KY. My friends in OH dedicated a song to me on the school radio station during announcements. I cannot hear that song today without seeing the classroom I was in during that song. I can't remember the teacher, but I can remember where I sat in the room, who was sitting around me, and how I felt. That was a long time ago.

I can also remember dancing to Roger Miller's "Dang Me" when I lived on Blueberry, we moved from there when I was six. I can even remember the album cover.

I don't listen to as much music as I used to when I was younger. I prefer the background noise of the t.v. I like hearing the voices of people. I have been listening to Brave Combo in the van. I'll probably get a traffic ticket for dancing while driving.

Keep enjoying your music!

Anonymous said...

You ominous? Nawww.

Those are some great memories.

I also appreciate your non judgmental attitude here it is refreshing.

I am a sentimental person and like many people I have some great memories associated with various songs.

There are some songs that evoke such powerful memories and emotions for me.

It reminds me of seeing medical experiments I have seen stories about on TV where a doctor is probing someone’s brain and the stimulation triggers some long hidden and intense memories.

All I have to hear is the opening mandolin in Rod Stewart's Maggie May and I am magically transported back to a summer of my youth.

I remember the first time I ever heard Eva Cassidy sing "Fields of Gold" I was told about her story before I ever heard her sing. I thought if ever there was an angel here on earth it must have been her.

Ha-ha, Brave Combo I love their version of "People Are Strange"

Enjoy your music too!

Cheryl said...

I listened to People are Strange in the van on the way out tonight.

Since most of the songs that meant the most to me were on albums, I don't have a lot of my music now. I'm too cheap to replace it on cd's. However, I do get on Amazon and listen to pieces of favorites when I feel the need. Right now Seals and Croft are playing while I type. Yes, I can only hear a few lines of each song on the album, but it reminds me of going to the State Fair back in the 70's to see them. They asked for pig calls. That is when I found out my date could call pigs. (Raymond always said I had a thing for pig farmers.)