Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I had a "moment" wtih a Leaf (?)

It was just a flicker on the right side of the windshield as I was driving up the road. It was so quick I wasn’t sure I really saw actually anything. I looked again as traffic started to slow, there was nothing out on the hood of the van.

As I sped up with the traffic something skittered across the bottom of the windshield. So fleeting, that I was beginning to think I was imagining things.

I stopped at a red light. As I leaned forward to see if there was anything on the hood, it was there. A brown leaf unlike any brown leaf I had seen before. It had eyes. Little black intelligent eyes were on this brown leaf and they were staring at me from the other side of the windshield.

I remember my mouth formed an “O” yet I don’t remember hearing a sound. No sound. No sound of the wind, which was blowing at a steady pace. No sound of the traffic passing by me. Nothing. It was just the leaf and me, sharing a moment.

Then it was over.

I swear that leaf winked as it took off from my windshield. I did not get the impression that it blew off the windshield. It took off from the windshield. I tried to follow its path, but it was gone. Its take off actually reminded me of how “Mary Poppins” would lift off with her umbrella, only this “leaf” was “Mary” at warp speed.

As I continued on in my van I started looking at the leaves still on the trees up and down the road. Maybe all these years that man has been looking for signs of life in outer space have been wasted. Maybe we should have been looking at the leaves all along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is way cool!!!!

Catmom5