Friday, July 10, 2009

Desiccant ! What?

I was really busy this morning at work trying to get everything done before my new boss left town, so I was really wasn't "there" when my oldest called me and asked if we had a desiccant.

Now I normally have trouble understanding my oldest in person, and on the phone is taxing for me, but I really had no idea what he was saying this morning. I had him repeat it several times and I thought he was saying "death certificate" and I could not understand why he needed one. He kept repeating it and then spelled it and went on to say "You know like silica gel, uncooked rice, etc." I'm like "Huh?" as I continued on with my work.

He asked again if we had uncooked rice, and I said try to pantry, to which he said we only had Uncle Ben's. I was still confused.

I then asked him if I wanted to know why he needed a desiccant, and he said "Probably not, but if you need to call me today, call me on "_______ (the youngest's) phone." I hung up.

I hung up to keep from saying something really horrible to the boy, since we had both just gotten new phones because I was able to get a really good deal. I had to breathe for a while.

I then called him back and asked him if he had dropped his phone in the toilet, and he said "No." I asked him if he spilled water on it, and he said "No, it wasn't anything like that." So then I had to ask him how his phone got wet. He replied with "I washed it, but I got it out before the spin cycle." I hung up.

The phone is now in a bowl of desiccant, and once I got home the only thing I said to him was "If that doesn't work, you will take care of getting a new phone, and paying for it. You also might want to consider buying insurance and paying for it yourself."

I'm still a little shocked. For one thing I am not sure how it got out of his hands long enough to get into the washing machine. I hope it was a lesson learned.

I'm really glad I remembered my bp meds this morning.

3 comments:

Loni said...

well, if it's not one thing, it's another.. a parent's journey never ends...

Deborah said...

I am not sure blood pressure meds would have done me any good!

I hope it dries out quickly and still works.

Anonymous said...

My sister's husband was goofing around last week end and knocked over her full glass of ice tea all over Joe's phone. Joe was already ready to chock Jim and I watched as Joe's neck vain pulsed. The phone worked briefly later that night but by the next day it had gone to T-Mobile heaven. I think I'll need to keep these two separated for awhile.