Thursday, July 9, 2009

"A" for Willingness, "D" for Result

I have been working a lot of extra hours this week and haven't been home much with the boys. Today was no exception.

I left work at 4:15 p.m. and picked up the youngest to return an item to the store for the church, and pick up another version. I needed the youngest to help me carry the item. I asked the oldest to make the meatloaf and get it in the oven. I gave him the recipe and off the youngest and I went.

I had not made it quite to the store when there was a call from the oldest asking where I keep the rubber gloves. I was confused as I don't use rubber gloves to make meatloaf. Turns out he had broken the lid on my favorite small casserole dish that I received as a wedding gift 27 years ago.

The youngest and I completed our task, took all our purchases to the church, and came home. As I was coming up the driveway I bet my youngest a "Sonic Cherry Limeade Chiller" that the meatloaf was not in the oven, even though it was 5:20 p.m.

We walked into the house and there was not a smell of anything cooking. The oldest was in the kitchen chopping onions (at least the ones not on the floor). I sat down to read in the living room and he continued to make the meatloaf. Once he had it ready to put in the oven, I went in to help a little with the decision of what pan to use. As I was helping him, I thought the meatloaf did not quite look like the one I usually make, but I figured it was the light or something.

Ninety minutes later the oven timer goes off and the meatloaf is ready. When I went to take it out of the pan I had to ask "How did you make this meatloaf?" It would not hold together. It was more like meatloaf hash. The taste was not great either. Not disgusting to the point you couldn't eat it, but not exactly good, but far from my normal meatloaf. We got the recipe out and I saw that he had followed the recipe, and that I had not clued him in on how I change it usually. Also, the ingredient amounts were probably off because I don't think I had the exact amount of ground beef.

We had a good laugh, and I even tried to have a second helping of "meatloaf hash" but couldn't begin to get it down.

I told my oldest he should cook all the time because it was good for my diet.

He was just happy that it wasn't as bad as a meal a friend made for us.

At least I'm known for not eating leftovers so his feelings won't be hurt when I don't touch it again.

2 comments:

Loni said...

Well, he gave it a go... somehow Cooking is just not his strength area. You should know this by now.

Cheryl said...

Actually, he is a very good cook in with several recipes, just not this one. He makes great banana bread, grilled chicken salads, etc. I think this was a little overwhelming in the amount of ingredients and instructions.