Saturday, September 12, 2009

Paul Shearer and Brian Holland

My BFF and I went to my church tonight to see Paul Shearer and Brian Holland play their guitars in their Circle Concert Series. To say they played their guitars is a wrong description. I don't know the word for what it is they do to their guitars to make the beautiful music that they made but it was fabulous.

Of course, I haven't heard Paul play in years without breaking into tears and tonight was no different. Raymond loved to hear Paul play and Paul was one of the musicians at Raymond's memorial service, so when Paul and Brian played a particularly beautiful piece of music tonight all I could think about was Raymond and how much he would have enjoyed it and I started sobbing. Then I cried through the next two songs before I got it under control.

One of the things I love about Paul is he understands. So at intermission when he came down to give me a hug he knew exactly why I was crying.

Paul is having another concert in October, and I can't wait.

2 comments:

Loni said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the music; though I know it also made you heartsick for Raymond as well. Think that it may have been exacerbated by the 'empty nesting' that is going on too. Love you much!!

Cheryl said...

Nah, had nothing to do with empty nest. It was the song written by the guy that was spreading his dad's ashes and a little bird landed by his shoulder and started singing. That is what started it, then Paul sang one of my favorite songs, and then he sang a song he wrote to his mother when she was dying. BFF was crying too.
(and no, the whole concert was not sad songs.)