Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ratty Robe Picture Voted Down

I was looking at a free online site last night where you could post your information and meet members of the opposite sex, same sex, whatever for different reasons such as friendship, IM and email pals, dating, hook ups ... As I read some of the profiles of the men looking for friendship and their pictures I realized that if I were to post on this site I would have to post a picture.

My BFF thought I should use the picture that I have on my Facebook page, we also looked at some others that my oldest took recently. I vetoed those pictures.

As I sat and thought about what I would like in a male friend I realized that what I want more than anything is someone that will accept me as I am, and therefore I should just post a picture of me in my ratty robe. Well, my Pastor/Boss/Friend and BFF voted that down immediately. They said I definitely could not put a picture of that robe on the internet.

I don't know why I can't put a picture of me in the robe on the internet. I sewed up almost all the holes, and the robe does paint the picture of who I am at the end of the day.

I definitely would not do a glamour type picture for posting. That would really be a lie.

It does not really matter. I am not going to post, but I had fun with BFF reading the profiles.

4 comments:

Seren Dippity said...

I kinda agree with your friends about the ratty robe photo but I do understand your reasons for wanting to post it. Men are usually willing to tolerate the ratty robe thing if you are willing to tolerate the baggy sweats they end up the day with. But guys are sensitive. They don't want to admit this even to themselves, so it is best to ease them into it. No need to scare them. Especially in the beginning. They have a need to pretend that they are all going to date a sex goddess, even though deep in their subconscious they have a vague knowledge it ain't gonna happen. And really they are usually ok with that. Deep down they want the same comfortable companionship that we do. Just don't rub their faces in it!

I do encourage you to stick your toes in the online dating world. It seems you have been considering it. Remember you can do it at your own pace. Take your time.

I joined a site when my youngest daughter was a senior in high school - because I had a fear that I would not do well with an empty nest.

I signed up under an alias, was honest with my profile - but definitely accented the positive and the activities that I knew guys would be more interested in. For example your love of fishing and hiking would interest many guys the quilting, not so much. But I don't expect (or WANT) a guy to be in my face all the time. I wanted someone who gave me alone time and could entertain themselves with a hobby or two.

I answered all the emails I got. I considered it only polite; If a guy was sincere and not my type - I didn't see any reason to ignore him or hurt his feelings. Even the obviously married but trolling for sex guys - I conversed with. I pretended like they were not really going to do such an awful thing and actually got into a few conversations that made them think twice.

I went into it with the attitude that if I got no more than interesting conversation via email it would be fun. And it would put me out there. I had great fun discussing my favorite books. I met a neurosurgeon who discussed his research with me. I emailed with a disc jockey who asked me my opinion about some of the commercials he was recording and gave him encouragement during a bout of unemployment. I actually went on a few dates. All fun but not serious relationships... friendships mostly.

And then I met the guy I have been with for the past 5 years. Surprised the heck out of myself. But it has been good.

Sorry this has been so long.
But I just wanted to say give yourself a chance to meet someone. Remember you are in control. Take your time and enjoy it or don't do it. You will know when you are ready.

Cheryl said...

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me this information. I just don't know if I have it in me to try this yet, but I'll remember what you said.

Loni said...

Well, the Ratty Robe would definitely be a picture of honesty. I love you even in your Ratty Robe, but then again I had known you for quite a long time before I met Ratty Robe.. so even then, Ratty Robe was not a big shock.. especially after having seen the Ratty Slippers. Luv Ya!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Those ratty slippers!! Combine that w/ the blue religious robe (holey) and you are sure to meet some nice KY guy!!!