Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wait - What?

I have started doing my grocery shopping on Wednesdays after work.  It is convenient because I can shop for "Survivor" night and Saturday with the girls. Since I go on the same day each week, I usually get the same cashier and bag person.  Today I had the same young man as cashier as last week and the same bag person who is a gentlemen about my age.  They both have strong accents and today's conversation still has me baffled. 

Both of them welcomed me and said they were glad to see me this week.  Then the gentlemen bagging my groceries pointed to my scarf (the new green and cream Loni original) and said it was very pretty, but he liked the green one from last week better.  At least I thought that was what he said because I answered that yes last week's was my favorite, but I love all my beautiful scarves made by friends.  He then said again something about last week's being his favorite and a beautiful green.

It was after that I became so confused because he then said "I would like to go there. You have been there right?"  I was totally baffled and said "Yes."  Then he asked me "How long does it take to get there, 5-6 hours?"  I answered "I don't really know."

The cashier joined the conversation and said "I have been there, it took me 5 hours, I guess it depends on how fast you drive."  

Then I thought the bag gentlemen said "My daughter has always wanted to go there too, so you are saying 'Orlando' is nice."

Oh, oh, what city is 5-6 miles away and sounds like 'Orlando,' I am so bewildered and I am beginning to wonder if they are messing with me, but they are obviously waiting for me to answer so I did the only thing I could do... I changed the subject. I told the cashier that I tend to make most trips faster than others because I have a lead foot, and boy don't people drive fast on 121.  Fortunately that took care of the matter.  

But really, what city is 5-6 hours away and sounds like Orlando? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, blondie is in the house - I am absolutely baffled by that exchange. Apparently you are good at changing the topic.

Unknown said...

Ok, blondie is in the house - I am absolutely baffled by that exchange. Apparently you are good at changing the topic.