Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Roughing It, Well Not Really

When I came home for lunch today I noticed a small pond around my water meter at the end of the driveway.  Since it has not rained here in weeks, I was very suspicious of said pond. 

Once in the house, I entered the living room and I asked the youngest if he had seen the pond at the water meter, to which he replied "No, but we don't have any water." 

I immediately called the City and filed a report and after hanging up I started chanting "not on my side, not on my side." 

The City was very prompt in arriving at the house, and then calling me to say "Not on our side, it is on your side."  DAMN.

I called my regular plumber.  They were very nice but said they could not get here to even look at it until tomorrow.  I told them I wanted someone today, but if I couldn't find anyone I would call back.

I then called my friend Bryan and asked if he knew of another plumber.  He gave me Jame's number. I know James, he worked here during the remodeling. James answered me promptly, but with bad news. He had just accepted two jobs for the afternoon and couldn't get here until tomorrow night. I thanked him and said I wanted someone today.  He called another friend, but he wasn't available either.
I told the youngest to get on the local website and find me a plumber.  The first one we called said they could arrive during the 2-4 P.M. range today.  I agreed and went back to work.

Around 3:30 the company called to say they were delayed on another job, but would get there A.S.A.P.  They did get here, and it wasn't long after 4, so they were close on their first estimate.  Fortunately, the break was very obvious on my side of the water meter.  Even the repair cost would have been reasonable, if they had not had to pull a City permit.  That added 1/2 of the repair bill onto the cost.  YIKES!  Then the really bad news. They could repair the pipe, but they could not turn the water back on until around 9:00 A.M. tomorrow.  CRUD!  The cost was especially irritating because I know Raymond could have fixed the issue for less than $50.00.

You have no idea how many times you wash your hands until you can't wash them.  I told Loni she might want to spend the night at her house since she is a City girl and not used to roughing it.  The boys picked up some bottled water so I can take what my mom used to call a "spit bath," and my youngest has become a pro at filling the toilet tank up with just enough pool water to flush the commode.  

My oldest was concerned about putting salt water from the pool in the toilet.  I asked him how that could possibly worse than what comes out of us on a daily basis, plus it is  small amount that is going out immediately.  

So no showers here in the morning.  I guess it is a good thing I work by myself most days.  I don't know how that will be for my oldest by the time he gets up, goes to class, and then rides the train in over 100 degree weather to work in downtown Dallas.  

It sure would be nice to have grandma's outhouse and well pump right now. Of course there would probably be a skunk in the outhouse.


4 comments:

Loni said...

City Girl tried not to enjoy her shower overly much this morning. Love you!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about the water. I know all about having to tough it out due to no water. Hope all is good today.

Cheryl said...

Water, blessed water! I was able to wash my hands in soap and hot water at lunch. YEAH!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.