Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Two Generation Quilt Project - Wonder if I Can Make it Three

My aunt in Arizona, who is now 84, started a quilt a while back for my 82 year old aunt in Ohio, but did not get it finished. She asked me over a year ago if I would finish it for her and I said yes, but she never sent it to me.

Since that time she has had some health issues, including a battle with shingles that really exhausted her and has had some long term effects on her health.  So she asked me once again if I would quilt the qult and when I said yes, she sent it right away.  

My aunt had almost finished piecing the top of the quilt, and sent all the material to finish the front and the back, with the back having some borders pieced so that it almost its own quilt.  The entire quilt is flannel, and with the batting will be very warm for those cold Ohio winters. It is also a nice size at 64x84 inches.

I spent Sunday and tonight quilting and I am down to the last large border.  It is looking very nice.  I called my aunt today to give her an update and she said "I'll never be able to repay you for doing this."  I told her that I wouldn't want to be paid because to me it is exciting to be able to do a quilt that two generations have worked on for another member of the family.  

Tonight Loni suggested that I get my youngest to do some of the hand stitching on the binding just to be able to say that three generations worked on the quilt.  I don't think he would go for it, but for the right amount of Magic cards he might put in a stitch or two.  

Either way, it has been a pleasure to be able to work on the quilt and I am going to send it to Arizona first so that aunt can see the completed project before it is sent on to Ohio.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that it wonderful that you were able to help in the making of that quilt; I'm sure that your other aunt will be touched by the gesture.

Let me know how many Magic cards it took to get the youngest to help.

Deborah said...

That is really neat that you've worked on a multi-generational quilt. My mom did that too. It's special to see a quilt that my mom and grandmother both worked on.

Seren Dippity said...

Please take photos! I'd love to see the completed project.

Laurie said...

Pictures?