Sunday, November 6, 2011

There Are Rules

There are rules for women that live alone.  Loni has not been on her own long enough to learn the rules.  If she knew the rules, she would never have gone into the attic of her new house.

Here are a few of my rules for living alone:
  1.  Let someone know your plans for the day if they are different than your usual routine.  I am such a homebody, I seldom go out on my own, but if I do I let someone know.
  2. Never go into the attic when you are alone.  If one of the boys can do the chore in the attic let them.  Loni knows the youngest is at her disposal for anything she needs done.
  3. If for some reason you must climb a ladder, let someone know you are doing so and tell them if you don't check back in _____ minutes (depends on job), they should call you and if no answer, check on you.  I do that at work too since I am alone most of the time. This is such a simple thing now that pretty much everyone texts.
  4. Assess each act on how you might get harmed, and try to lower the risk.
  5. Don't answer the door at night unless you know the person you are expecting is on the other side.  I like people to call when they are in my driveway, or tell me what time they are arriving.  
  6. Make sure several people have your emergency contact numbers.  
  7. Make sure at least two people have keys to your home.
  8. Make sure that you have made your family and friends aware of your wishes when it comes to your medical care.
  9. Make sure your emergency contact people know where you keep your important papers.
  10. Make sure your emergency contact people know your allergies, especially to medication.
I used to do things with pretty much wild abandon.  If I wanted to reach something high I would stand on anything, including my exercise ball.  I would get in the car and take off for the day, no one would have any idea where, or even that I had planned to go out.  That all changed after Raymond died because I then became my sons' only parent, and pretty much their only relative. Yes, they have elderly grandparents, aunts they have never met, and an uncle, but none of those people live any where near us, they do not have the same philosophy of life we do, and they are not their parent.  It is my job to be act responsibly for their sakes.

Of course, once they are old enough to be responsible for themselves, I will be too old to climb ladders, or act irresponsibly.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I like the rules. We shold have given a copy to Loni last week!