Saturday, March 17, 2007

His Voice

Raymond's voice woke me up today. The same way he woke me up for years. "Honey."

I guess he thought I was sleeping too late. It was 8:03 a.m. and we have plans for today. I am usually up at 7:00, but I was really tired last night.

It was really nice to hear his voice again. I think it is the first time since he died. Sometimes my dad's voice will wake me up, or even my mom's voice will yell "CHERYL" sometimes in the middle of the night when I have forgotten something that needs to be taken care of, but I had not heard Raymond's.

I have had dreams about him where he was talking, but when he talked it was never his real voice. This morning it was the exact sound. It did not make me sad. Maybe that is why I hadn't heard it before, he did not want me to be sad when I heard his voice.

Raymond's "Honey" was the perfect way to wake up.

Maybe that means it will be a good day.

3 comments:

journeyinfinite said...

Aren't those rare meaningful yet subliminal dreams/voices amazing? --Jenny

pappy hawk said...

My sister passed away in 1992 at the age of 32.She was born on my birthday one year later.

After all these years,I still miss the sound of her voice.I have letters she wrote to me.Sometimes I'll read those letters,and somehow I hear her through the words she wrote.

I hope you wake up many more mornings to the sound of his voice!

Howard

Cheryl said...

Howard,
I'm sorry about your sister. 32 is so young.

I have the letters Raymond wrote me in college. He also kept mine. I went back to read them a couple months after he died, but they were too painful. Not because he was gone, but because we were so naive when it came to the real world back then.

Raymond left letters to the boys. They have read them, but I think they will mean more to them as the get older.

I'm glad you have your sister's letters.

Cheryl