Friday, March 16, 2007

Whistling

I was whistling this morning. My head feels lighter.

I went to get my oldest today for Spring Break. We had a nice trip home, it takes about an hour, so we get to talk and catch up. We stopped for lunch and had a few laughs. He was asking why they call it happy hour when the restaurant advertised “Happy Hour All Day.” I told him it didn’t matter how long the restaurant hosted “Happy Hour,” most people were only happy for about an hour when drinking, and then they were past happy.

We also had a talk about “Classic Rock.” How it changes by the year. We think it will be funny with the dj says and here is a classic rock song by “Modest Mouse.” Of course there may not be such a thing as a dj by then.

I love it when we are all together. I love being a family. I think that is a rare thing these days. We went to see the youngest run the 800m at his track meet. When he saw his brother there he came running up and jumped into his arms. My heart swelled so big I thought it would explode.

Despite my happiness today, I still feel the heavy sadness that is in my heart about the loss of Christopher Michael Barrios, the 6 year old that was found dead after vanishing a week ago in Georgia. Children should not die like that. It will be a long time before that family can whistle again.


No comments: