Saturday, June 27, 2009

SNAKE!

When my Aunt M was here I offered to put her rental car into my unused double car garage. One reason I offered to do this was to prevent us from having to play car tag as we moved in and out during the day. We were not planning on driving her car for three days and if it was out of the way, life would be easier.

Now I only park my car in the garage when the weather is bad. Otherwise I park under my carport, so I use the garage to store items left over from my mom, or salt for the pool, etc. Most of the time it is extremely neat and organized. Unfortunately, I had not looked in there since my oldest and youngest had been out of school in June. What a mess. The oldest had just unloaded all his apartment items in there willy nilly, and my youngest had been in there foraging for new items to redecorate his playroom. I was not happy.

We had to move things to make room for the car, and I needed more light since I do not have electricity running to the building. I asked my youngest to open the other garage door and when he did, there was a snake.

Now I am used to seeing snakes around here, and since they are usually rat snakes, I don't mind them, but my youngest said he did not think this one was one of our usual snakes.

His head was a little more triangular than usual, and his color was different. My youngest told me to be careful because it might strike. Unfortunately, this garage did not have anything in it to kill the snake, and it was on the move because we had startled it. The closest thing to me was a long push broom, so I pushed it out of the garage.

The snake did not take kindly to being pushed around and he coiled up to hiss and strike. He then started moving in a sidewinding type manner, definitely not like my usual snakes that usually just slither off. Now the boys are getting a little worried and I am wishing like anything I had a shovel, but I just keep brooming the snake, trying to get it far enough away from the garage so it can go somewhere else. Unfortunately, the sideways movement of the snake was making it difficult for me to get it where I wanted it to go. I took the broom and shoved the snake as hard as I could, trying to calculate its movement so it would go in the side yard but that was not to be. It ended up under my Aunt's rental car still in the driveway. The youngest ran up trying to try to figure out where the snake would go next, only to watch it climb up into the motor area of the vehicle.

Well, I said some choice words, shrugged my shoulders, and did the only thing I could do. I finished making way for the car, and moved it into the garage.

However, the question still remained. Did I tell my Aunt or not. I chose to tell her, but she informed me that the would rather not know the next time.

I figure the snake climbed out and is back inside my garage somewhere, and when the boys come back, there will be a good cleaning and straightening of the garage. Everything I have out there is in locked down bins, but they did not do that with their items.

I think I will be purchasing another shovel for the big garage.

No comments: