Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dr.s Visit

Today was the day I was transferred from the Concentra office to the surgeon's office to arrange surgery on my shoulder. 

Loni drove me so I didn't have to stress my shoulder too much, and to meet the Dr.  It was a ways down to his new Dallas office.  When we got there and walked in the door of the building I was ready to turn around and leave.  The Dr. had warned me that he had lost his sublet on the other office and had to move quickly, so I thought maybe this was all he could find, but still...YUCK!

The building was built around an atrium that has not been well tended.  The fountain is not maintained, and the water needed to be treated.  When we opened the door to enter the hall the office was located in, the smell of mold almost knocked you to the ground.  I really wanted to grab Loni's hand and run.

Entering the office was not much better.  No filing cabinets, boxes on the floor, total chaos behind the desk.  Gut was still saying "RUN!"  

The receptionist had all my paperwork ready and was very nice.  She explained that the paperwork was different than most and that instead of having English on one side and Spanish on the other it was together.  I have to admit it was difficult for me to read that way, and there was a lot of paperwork.  

As I was going working through all the papers, Loni was listening.  She overheard one patient say that this office was so much nicer than the old office.  What!!!  She also learned that they had just moved into this office.  Okay, once she told me that I thought maybe I am being too hard on them, but still... YUCK!

I finished my paperwork and turned it in only to be called back to the desk because I had left out a page.  There were four questions on the page.  One about smoking .. No.  One about any habits, like biting my nails, No.  But she said any nervous habits so I had to put that I shake my leg all the time.  The other one was a question I don't remember, but it did not apply to me.  Then there was the other question.  
Sexual Habits:____________________________________________
___Normal
___ Abnormal

I looked at the receptionist and said how about "none."  She then said she didn't know why they had to ask that question since they were an orthopedic office but it had to be answered.  I looked at her and said how about "none at this time."  She said "Check normal."  She then told me she didn't like it when people checked "abnormal."  We had a good laugh.  I checked normal, and that part of the visit was done.

The next part of the visit involved a muscle strength test, and then a lot more paperwork.  I do mean a lot more paperwork.  This was done with a nice lady named Anita on a little round patio table.  In fact, when I did my range of motion test I had to make sure I didn't hit her in the head since there were four people working around the patio desk and an exam table in this back room.  Nothing was unpacked, they were working out of tote bags and boxes in there too.  Once I was done in that room, Anita gave me my tentative date for surgery.

Once I finished with Anita it was time to see the Dr.  I am still not happy about the office, but I have to say that everyone was really, really nice.  They all got along, and they all seem to adore the Dr. 

Dr. came in. Went over my paperwork again.  Told me what I needed to complete to get my surgery, and set up my pre-op visit.  

So I guess I am having surgery on March 14, if all the paperwork can be done on time.  That is the beginning of Spring Break, so the boys will be home to help me.  Should be very interesting.  Still worried about it, but I would probably be worried no matter who did the surgery.  

All I know is it sure will be nice to have normal use of my shoulder again.  

I also hope I can visit the Dr. in the Plano clinic after surgery and not deal with driving to that odd place again.




No comments: