Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hawaiian Art

Loni and Mina go to Hawaii in January to celebrate Loni's grandmother's birthday.  This year she was 99 years old. 

When they return they are always kind enough to bring gifts to their extended family.  I asked that my gift this year be calorie free.  

Loni came to see me yesterday and brought me my gift.  It was a piece of artwork by George Kaiwi, a mostly self-taught artist who has done t-shirt art, stained glass, and is now working in oil.  My print is of his original oil painting "Honu and Friend."  Loni said she picked this print for me because it had the fish she saw while snorkeling, and of course there is a turtle involved.  

This is my third piece of art from Hawaii.  I have a nice matted turtle picture and a beautiful porcelain box from Mina purchased on previous trips.  I can't wait to frame it.  I have already changed my mind ten times about where I want to hang it. 

I love it!  Thank you Loni.  

Honu and Friend by George Kaiwi                                                                          




   
I

1 comment:

Unknown said...

More surprises are in store for you when I get back from my business travel.