Saturday, May 5, 2012

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Last night was midnight breakfast with the boys.  I took the opportunity of having them both with me at once to tell them about my relationship with Randy. 

Their response was very interesting.  They both asked me if I was happy. When I said I was pretty happy they said that was good and they were happy for me.  

I wasn't quite buying the all is good thing by the looks on their faces so I asked a few more questions and this is what it boiled down to for both of them.  They are happy for me, but I should not expect them to like Randy.  The youngest even said "If he is a prick, I am not going to like him." I told them that I did not want them to stay away from me just because they didn't like the man in my life, and no man was worth coming between us.  I also told them Randy has told me repeatedly he will not come between the boys and me. I explained that whether they liked Randy was up to them, but that I did expect them to try to get to know him if they were ever given the chance. 

After that discussion I let it go and we went on to have a loud laughter filled breakfast.

Around 3:00 A.M. I was in doing laundry and the youngest came in to help.  I told him I was a little disappointed that he thought I would be interested in a "prick."  He explained that he had no idea what type of man I liked.  I asked him how he could say that when his dad was not a "prick."  Then my youngest said something that made me so extremely sad.  He said "How would I know that about dad?" The youngest said he didn't think you could really know what a person was like until you yourself were old enough to understand.  He said that he was just now at the age when he could discern what a person was like, so he couldn't comment on his dad.  I spent some time crying over that one.  



No comments: