Friday, August 17, 2007

Cataloochee by Wayne Caldwell

I have a passion for books that have their main setting in the Appalachian region of the United States. I don't know if it is in my blood because of my heritage, or if I lived there in another life, but some of my happiest "reads" are books about the lives and times of people in Appalachia.

I was very fortunate to have run across a new book in the library called "Cataloochee" by Wayne Caldwell. The story covers six decades of life in Cataloochee, North Carolina, an area that is eventually taken over by the government to make the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Mr. Caldwell is a great story-teller and I was so sad when I finished this book. Bravo, sir. Thank you for taking me back in time and letting me live life with the Carters, Wrights, and even Ezra Banks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ran across this book in the library too. It called to me because I'm a major fan of the Great Smoky Mountains. I've been googling Cataloochee ever since I finished it to see pictures, get more info, etc. and to try to get Wayne Caldwell's website. No such luck with the latter. I'm an avid reader, albeit a slow one. I read about a book a week and this is my favorite for the year.

Cheryl said...

I am so glad to know that someone else appreciated this book. It is definitely my favorite for the year so far.

Thanks for your comment.