Monday, August 27, 2007

I Hate School!

I just returned from dropping the youngest off at school. We left early to avoid the horrible first day of school traffic. It worked getting there, but getting out was a mess.


I hate that school is back in session. I really enjoyed having my boys here with me. We have so much fun and so many laughs.


I had that lovely three week break from them this summer and that was enough. They could stay home a few more months before I would be ready to get another break.

The other thing I hate about school starting - the bureaucracy of it all. I hate the specific school supply list, the sports meetings to relay information that could have been covered in a one paragraph email, and the endless busy work projects that take up my son’s time when it would have been just as easy to assign a project where he would have been able to better his research skills.

If that wasn’t a long enough list of what I hate about school starting, there is something else I hate even more - the teacher that grades in an arbitrary and capricious manner. He had a teacher last year that based grades of projects on the ones that were most elaborate. It did not matter that he had met every requirement on the assignment, if someone put one out that looked as if they had a Master’s in Art, then they got an A and all others were based on that project. It was very discouraging to him. Could his projects have been more elaborate, or course, but the assignments did not justify spending that much time and extra money on in order to top all the others. He took his only ever B, despite having made high A’s on every test, and learned another life lesson.

I hate school!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gez! Don't be so grumpy! All of our children have had unfair things happen at school. If getting a B is the worst thing, count yourself blessed!

Cheryl said...

Not grumpy. Just not one of those rah-rah parents. I see the bureaucracy for what it is.

I wish the B was the worst of it, but it isn't.

Besides the bureaucracy, there is the hypocrisy of it all, but that is another whole post.

Anonymous said...

Yeah but you get to wave at you friends as you pass them in line!!


http://www.tomlichtenheld.com/images/grumpy_book.jpg

Anonymous said...

http://www.tomlichtenheld.com/ima
ges/grumpy_book.jpg