Tuesday, November 27, 2007

ME Being Mom

Mon Nov 26 11:23:47 2007

[11:23] Oldest: ?!

[11:24] Oldest: What'd I screw up that I ended up with a 75 on the 3rd physics exam?

[11:25] Oldest: Doesn't matter, they're going to curve it, and I still have a solid A...

[11:31] ME: That is a huge screw up

[11:31] Oldest: grehhh

[11:32] Oldest: Why can't I have a week where everything goes right?

[11:33] Oldest: At least I got a 100 quiz average in History

[11:33] Oldest: all I had to do was get 60% of the points, though

[11:33] Oldest: because I'm in class with a bunch of morons.

[11:34] Oldest: and I didn't sleep well last night. This week has not started well.

[11:35] ME: Why should you be special and have a perfect week?

[11:35] ME: I didn't sleep very good either, went to bed at 2 a,m

EDITED HERE AS IT IS NOT RELEVANT

[11:36] Oldest: Other people have mostly perfect weeks.

[11:37] ME: No they don't. That is just your imagination.

[11:38] ME: Everyone has an itching butt, or a pimple, or family issues that no one knows about

[11:38] ME: Some people dump food in their laps or go to an interview with a big piece of food in their teeth

[11:38] ME: Some people just smell bad and ruin the day of someone else

[11:38] ME: It is human nature to have things go wrong

[11:39] ME: It is learning how to shrug off the small things and go on that makes the world think you are having a perfect week

[11:39] Oldest: yeah

[11:39] ME: see how wise I am

[11:40] Oldest: mhmm

This is part of an IM conversation I had with my oldest today. He is away at school. As the day went on and I thought back to the conversation, I got to thinking about what if we did have perfect days or weeks. How blah. We would never have the pleasure of a surprise. We would never have a smile just because someone did something nice for us when we were feeling blue. How utterly, horribly boring. I then got to thinking about King Midas. It would be like that only with emotions. YUCK!

No, we are not supposed to have perfect days or weeks. Perfect hours, now those are meant to be.

A perfect hour or so is playing games with your children, having lunch with your best friend, reading a book that you never want to end. A perfect few moments can be found in having your child sit in your lap, even when he is quite a bit taller than you, and telling you his thoughts (notice I did not say hours, my legs would fall off). A perfect few seconds if when your child jumps in the car after school and says he had a terrific day. There are so many perfects to be found during a day that would not be recognized as being so special if all days were perfect.

No comments: