Monday, November 19, 2007

"The View From Mount Joy" More Than a Book

I just finished reading "The View From Mount Joy" by Lorna Landvik. As I closed the book I started thinking about my own views from "Mount Joy." (Sorry Ms. Landvik, but I have more than one.) One view in particular I thought I would return to one day, but it never happened.

My greatest view from "Mount Joy" was the one from the cliff where Raymond proposed to me. We went on a hike at Bee Rock in KY and Raymond proposed at the overlook. It truly was a "View from Mount Joy." I always thought we would hike that hike again, but the one time we were able to go back we were with a group of people and circumstances prevented us from hiking the trail. I did get a postcard of the site, but it wasn't the same.

We had another hike before he became ill at the Great South Fork in KY. There was one spot that was absolutely breathtaking and we stood there with our arms around each other enjoying a "View from Mount Joy." We talked of our blessings and how much we missed being in an area of such great beauty, but how we could never return.

After he became wheelchair bound we were still able to have a "View from Mount Joy" when we went on vacation to the Great Smoky Mountains and climbed (wheeled) the Laurel Falls trail, but it wasn't the view that made it a "Mount Joy," it was the fact that Raymond was able to participate in the hike with us.

I hope to have more views from a "Mount Joy" in the future, but so far it hasn't happened. The boys and I have hiked in some beautiful places and have seen some great views, but the joy hasn't been there for me without Raymond. Every time we come upon a great view I am saddened by the fact that he is not by my side.

My views of "Mount Joy" are very different from those in the book, but I believe that I get this same feeling in my heart as the character in the book.

Thank you Ms. Landvik for the memories.

No comments: