Monday, November 5, 2007

Choose Laughter Over Bitterness

I was writing a letter today to a friend that probably does not have much longer to live. He is quite elderly and in very poor health, as his body is just wearing out. His wife of many, many years is extremely bitter, as is he about his health, and I find that sad.

Here they are spending what really could be their last few days together and all they can do is complain. Instead of thinking back about their wonderful sixty plus years together, they can only focus on the last two years and how his health has declined.

I can’t help but feel they are wasting precious moments together. Moments that she will want back after he is gone. Moments that could be spent in laughter and with tears of happy times remembered.

It saddens me greatly that they will end their time here together on earth in bitterness.

Raymond and I were bitter in the beginning, but we adjusted to our fate and did all we could to make the best of it. We really tried to set an example for our boys. I think we succeeded. They went with me to see this couple and I could tell from what the boys said afterward that they noticed the couple's attitude and that it really was not helping the situation. Maybe the boys will now understand why Raymond and I laughed at things most people would have found to be extremely disgusting or totally depressing. I can still smile at those laughs.

I pray that this couple finds peace with their fate and learn to laugh in the upcoming days, because it is what will get them through. I fear they will not find peace in the end if they continue on the path they are currently following. I also fear it will only make the wife’s grief more difficult for her and their family.

No comments: