Monday, February 11, 2008

I Do Not Know How to Teach "Man Up"

"Man Up!"

That is what I felt like saying to my oldest this weekend. We were working on a task and he was performing the task, but he seemed to be complaining more than I wanted to hear. I had to stop myself from screaming “Man Up, your father never complained.”

I did stop myself, but I still wanted to say it

I doubt he was complaining as much as it seemed. After all he does everything I ask, he works hard, and he really didn’t understand exactly what I wanted done, even though I had explained it the day before.

I think my aggravation with the whole thing comes from my insecurity of my parenting skills without Raymond here to talk over what steps need to be taken to raise the boys. I am worried that they are not learning the skills they need without Raymond here to show them. I try. I have had my oldest work on small plumbing issues, hang shelves, and help with other small jobs around the house, but he is a long way from having the skills Raymond had, and I have limited skills to teach him and his brother.

How will my boys survive in the real world of owning a house?

Will they remember what a wonderful husband their dad was and how they should treat their wife?

I don’t think I am up to the task of teaching these boys how to be men,

No comments: