Sunday, February 3, 2008

Something Different for Me

I had homework at TOPS this week. I decided to follow one of my positive affirmations from last week. My affirmation was "Be as good to myself as I am to my friends."

I have completed the homework. Earlier this week a friend called and asked me to do something for her that would have taken me a couple of days to do. My friend had time to do this something, she signed up to do this something, and she was physically capable of doing this something, she just didn't want to do it. When she called me, my first instinct was to say "Okay, I'll take care of it," but when I started to answer her I had a flash of irritation. I really did not have time to take care of the matter, it wasn't something I would not have signed up to do, and I would have had to have my boys help me because I in the middle of a fibro flare up. So I said "No."

I could tell she was surprised. She actually let out a little gasp. I gave her some suggestions on how to handle the something in a way that would be a little more efficient than how she was going to handle it and then I hung up.

What surprised me was that I did not feel guilty. In the past I might have called back and said that I had checked my calendar and I could do the something, but not this time. I was so proud of myself. Even if I never turn a friend down again, I know that this was the time to say "no."

1 comment:

Loni said...

I'm so proud of you!