Monday, August 3, 2009

Favorite Robe

I am sure that some of my friends have not recovered from the sight of my favorite slippers. Well, unbeknownst to most, I have a favorite robe. Now I know that some of my friends will see these pictures and want to run out and buy me a robe. I want to assure those friends that I have a closet full of robes, but this one is my favorite. I think my mother gave it to me in 1994, although it might have been 1995.

Last year my aunt went out and bought me two new robes and asked me to throw my favorite robe away, but I could not make myself throw out my comfort robe.

Raymond hated this robe even when it was new. He asked me to get rid of it, but while he was hoping it would hit the rag bag I was out looking for one just like it in other colors. Raymond just did not get the idea of a favorite piece of clothing because he was not partial to any particular shirt or pair of pants, just a style.

My favorite robe is thin and texture free in the front due to years of rubbing against the counter when I do dishes. It is splitting out everywhere, not because it is tight but because the fabric is so thin on the sides where my arms have rubbed against it while I have cleaned.

One of the reasons I love this robe is it's shape and the fact that I can wear it over clothes when I am cold.

Tonight I went to put on the robe and there was a loud splitting sound. I panicked with the thought that it might be the end. I carefully removed the robe and checked it out. Whew, it wasn't as bad as it sounded.

I immediately went to my new sewing machine and zigzagged all the splits the best I could, and now I am sitting here in my repaired robe hoping that nothing else happens to it for another 20 years.




Front of Robe Texture Worn Away



Back splitting



Right Side



Left Side

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, your robe looks well loved. I had a t-shirt that got worn down that I loved - until Stan tore it up because he said that it was too ratty looking.