Monday, August 3, 2009

Good Thing I Live Close to Work

I almost wet myself at work today.

If you have never seen my work space you understand when I say that my actual work space is very tight. My "desk" is a folding table that is 2 feet wide and just deep enough for my monitor and keyboard. My "desk" is sandwiched between a counter/cabinet combo and a very large deep file cabinet. A large copier is behind me. Most days you can hear me cry out at least a couple of times because my mouse has fallen off the side of the "desk."

Today I was standing up fiddling with the paper tray on my printer when I heard my boss let out a garbled shriek and saw something flying at me out of the corner of my eye. I let out quite a scream and fell towards the counter while shouting "What? What?"

For some reason I got it in my head that there was a snake in the office. So for a split second I was freaked out and I really thought I would wet myself. Fortunately, I was standing with my legs crossed in order to reach the printer, so I was okay.

When I turned to see what had happened I realized that what was flying at me was a large arrangement of flowers. My boss was carrying it towards me and it was top heavy for the vase it was in and it had gone flying. It was quite a mess, and the green foam stuff was all over my chair and floor as well as the flowers. I told her that she almost made me wet myself and that I needed out of the corner so I could get to the bathroom. She started laughing and I told her to stop that until I got out of the bathroom. She just laughed harder and I had to go running.

We had quite a laugh while we cleaned up the flowers as did the other ladies working at the church this morning.

I'm just thrilled I live so close to the church, because any more incidents like this one and I might need a change of clothes, at least until I get used to the new bosses' different shrieks.

No comments: