Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Very Rude Awakening, Feel Free to Laugh

I had a very rude awakening this morning.

At night I always set out my “before the morning shower clothes.” These clothes go in a spot on the floor of the bathroom so that I can get up, sans glasses, get dressed and walk about the house doing piddling little things before breakfast and my shower.

This morning’s routine started out the same as every day. I put on my underclothes, put on my house dress and started towards the scale that I keep in the laundry room. As I started across the living room I felt a sharp sting at my waist. It made me take pause, but not much of one because I always have pain in the morning. As I continued across the living room I started feeling a stinging sensation in different parts of my nether region. As I entered the laundry room, the stinging was getting worse and so I took off my black and blue striped underwear and looked to see if there was any reason my underwear would be causing me such pain. I could see nothing, so I put them back on and continued about my morning. Only after about a minute the stinging was unbearable, so I went in to get my glasses. With my glasses on I was able to see that my underpants were covered in fire ants. A trip to the mirror confirmed that I too was covered in fire ants. OUCH! Thank goodness for the power spray on my shower head was able to dislodge and drown those stinging arthropods.

With my glasses on I was able to see that the clothes “spot” was covered in fire ants. Where they came from I have no clue. They were not in any other spot in the room or any of the other rooms. How special that they chose my underclothes.

This was not the best day for this to happen to me as it was a very busy day at work, but what could I do but what follow my dad’s advice of “just grin and bear it.” Only what I really wanted to do was “bare” it as wearing clothes hurt.

I was very careful about not drinking much today because I was afraid of how that would feel. When I got home I could no longer hold my luncheon tea and had no choice but to go to the bathroom. I am so glad I waited until I got home because I am sure that the women at the ladies’ luncheon would not have understood the screams that came from my bathroom this afternoon.

Now my youngest wants to know why I put the underwear back on when I thought there was a problem, even if I could not see a problem. My only explanation was that my brain just was not awake.

I did check the area tonight and there were no fire ants there, so I guess God just thought I needed to have a special wake up call this morning.

2 comments:

Loni said...

Well I guess you have to have a conversation with God about not needing any more wake up calls that special :)

Unknown said...

Reading this is making me chuckle again. I hope you know that I am not laughing at your pain, but the incident itself. I guess you could consider yourself "divinely favored" yesterday morning. hugs!