Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Thanksgiving!

So far it has been great here.

Our Thanksgivings for the last few years have consisted of staying home, staying in our pj's, eating simple, and playing games all day.

This year is basically the same with a little twist.

The oldest came home last night around 6 and soon after the core group of his friends arrived. This made the evening so wonderful for me. The youngest is welcome in that group now as he is old enough to hear most of what is said by the college boys. They sat in there an played games, laughed, and carried on for hours. I went in some time after midnight for our usual game of "Apples to Apples." We like to play that game in the early hours of the morning because it is funnier then, and pretty darn bawdy. I won because I was lucky enough to keep drawing the trump cards in this group, such as "duct tape." After I won we just kept playing and telling stories and laughing. At one point we were all laughing so hard I actually felt sick.

The boys left around 2 a.m.

Now during the evening I had a craving for IHop hot chocolate and offered to take them all in town, but it the vote turned it down because they wanted to keep playing the games. After the boys left I mentioned to my boys I was still up for IHop. They were both up for it so off we went. We got there around 2:30 a.m. and decided to just have breakfast, which we did, with hot chocolate. When we got home I opted to go to bed and read and told my boys they could stay up as long as they brushed their teeth first. Since we had already had breakfast they could sleep as long as they wanted.

I fell asleep pretty quickly and I awoke at 1:18 p.m. I got up and went outside to find it was a glorious days. I sat on the swing and read awhile before checking on the boys. They were up and I invited them to come out and sit with me on the swing for a while. We sat and talked for about 20 minutes before we decided to play "Yahtzee-Free for All" on the picnic table out by the new turtle pond. It was a lot of fun and so nice to be outside.

After losing at "Yahtzee"(which I usually do with this new one), I told the boys it was time to go in and make the pumpkin pies. The youngest made the crust, the oldest did the filling, and I rolled the crust, and readied the pies for baking. Then the oldest and I played "Quirkle" while they were baking.

The oldest and I just finished having our grilled burgers and baked beans. Pie will come later.

We have gone through the Black Friday ads and decided we would still be better off ordering most of the gifts from Amazon. In fact, we just ordered my oldest's Christmas gift. My shopping for him is done.

My youngest still has a December birthday and Christmas to figure out. We pretty much know the basics of what he wants, just not the specifics. All in all we decided we did not need to get out on Black Friday so yeah!!!!

I have also spent part of the day remembering those that are no longer around our table. I hope that Raymond is proud of me for how I am handling the boys and their issues. I hope Mom is happy being well again and seeing Dad. I miss them to the point I think I could just lie down and never get up again, but that is not what the expect of me, so I will go on.

I hear another game starting up.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my extended family, friends, and anyone reading this post.

No comments: