Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It is Enough to Make me Worry ... A Lot

Here are the facts. My dad had Alzheimer's. My mother had Alzheimer's. My mother's mother had what they called hardening of the arteries that lead to dementia, but that was at a time that we had never heard of Alzheimer's, so who knows. So I figure, I will have Alzheimer's.

I do brain games every day. I read. I make sure I get some exercise each day, but probably not enough. I make sure I try to learn something new each week. I do everything I have been told to do to try to keep my mind going, but I know that some day my mind will start slipping.

Unfortunately, my mind seems to be slipping a lot lately. I have lost my van in a store parking lot each of the four times I have gone out by myself in the last four days.

Monday I couldn't remember how to use my vegetable chopper. I had to get the youngest to come and show my how to use it, and to tell me that I actually did not have one of the parts.

I find these lapses very disturbing, and they worry me.

Now I will admit that each time I went out shopping I was pretty preoccupied when I got out of the van and went into the store, and maybe I did not pay enough attention.

I also haven't used the vegetable chopper in almost a year, usually the oldest does the chopping. In fact, I never did use it a lot, so maybe I can excuse that one, but still...

I am going to have to start paying more attention.


No comments: