Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We ARE a Critter Friendly Property, HOWEVER ...


We are a critter friendly property. We are a registered as a wildlife habitat in Austin (at least we were, I assume we are still on the list).

We do not discourage any critters unless they get in the house.

In the summ.er we are often in the pool until very late at night and see coyotes, skunks, possums, etc. walk by outside the fence and we love it, well we worry about the skunks spraying us, but we still enjoy the fact we have so much wildlife.

However, we are only critter friendly when the critters are outside. Tonight while my youngest was working on his computer, which is located in our foyer, he heard a tapping on the front door. When he turned on the outside light to see who might be there he saw a large possum.

I absolutely have to put my foot down on the critters knocking on the door like I am going to let them in for a friendly visit. I give them free reign of all of the acreage. I give them plenty of cover to protect themselves from predators. I make sure they have stuff to eat in the winter, and water all of the time. That is as far as it goes.

At least the youngest had enough sense not to open the door to try to get a better look at the creature or there is no telling what I would have found when I came home from dinner with my friends.




3 comments:

Deborah said...

ha ha ha. A great laugh at the end of the day.

thanks!

Anonymous said...

You let me in the house...

Loni said...

OK, that's it... i can only come to your house when it is light outside from now on :)