Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Think He Showed Real Maturity



So much drama over the last couple of days in my oldest's life. He is getting a real lesson in young adult relationships.

His ex-girlfriend, they broke up two months ago, is having a very difficult time accepting that the relationship is over. Friday night she had a little "mental" breakdown to the point that officials had to be called in. When she first came to him and told him what she was planning to do he did not know what to do. He wanted to call her parents, but he does not know their number, and she wouldn't give it to him because she did not want them to know. He finally convinced her that they had to call me because he told her he was not capable of handling the situation (smart boy). They called me and once I was over the shock and the temptation to jump in the car, I was able to tell them that they needed an adult. I told them that they were not really adults and that the situation was way too big for them to handle. They agreed.

I told them that the situation was immediate, and that I could not get there in less than thirty minutes, and it may take longer in Friday night traffic. I told them to call my son's PA, and she would know what to do, but that if they could not reach her, then they needed to call campus officials for help. I told them I was giving them five minutes for one of them to call me or text me back to let me know what was going on. (I was still tempted to jump in the car.)

Five minutes later they called and said that they had gotten in touch with the PA, and that she was 20 minutes out and that she told them who to contact. I told them I had to know when an adult had arrived. About five minutes later I was texted that adults were there.

I sprouted many new grey hairs in the time this was going on. I was texted several times during the next hour that things were better.

My oldest finally came home that night around 10, bringing pizza, and very worked up. I told him he handled everything very maturely, and how happy I was that he called me when he knew he was in over his head, and I was very proud of him.

I am not thrilled with how the "officials" decided to handle the situation, but I wasn't there, and I am looking at it through a mother's point of view.

I had a long talk with my oldest about how he needs to handle things from here on out.

I would love for this to be the last drama he has to go through, but he is an adult now, living out on his own and interacting with many different people every day that he has never met before or does not know very well, so it is just the beginning. At least this one had a good ending and he knows he can stay calm and think things through instead of running around in circles and not being of any use.

(I am calling this a drama for him, but I do know it was very traumatic for his ex-g, and I am sorry for that. She is a very nice girl. She just has not been given the skills yet to handle certain types of events. I wish her the very best in life. I am honored that she trusted me enough to let the oldest call me to help them.)


2 comments:

Loni said...

Clairol was made for moments like these. Hang in there Mamma

Deborah said...

I'm glad your son has absorbed so much of the common sense you and Raymond imparted to him. It takes a man to admit "I'm in over my head." He did that and asked for help. And aren't you blessed that he chose you?