Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kept My Mouth Shut -

Friday I moved my youngest out of this dorm.  I have moved my oldest out of the same dorm twice.  Each time you move out there is an inspection that you must pass in order to check out. 

My oldest went through the checks.  Both times one of the RAs or PAs would show up, look over his contract, and glance around to make sure all his obligations on the contract were met.  No big deal. The oldest sailed through the inspections without a problem. 

When I arrived at my youngest's room Friday, he warned me that his inspector was a pain.  I read the letter he had sent and thought to myself  "okay this guy might be a jerk."  Inspection time came, and the youngest and his roommate were present as required, even though only my youngest was moving out that day.  The inspector was right on time, which I appreciated.  He walked in wearing a suit, which I thought was odd, but okay.  He asked the youngest if he was prepared and we said "yes."  I'm thinking maybe this won't be so bad. The inspector started looking around and then he pulled out a white glove.  I wanted to laugh, but didn't.  The next thing he pulls out is a very powerful flashlight, now I am getting irritated.  My youngest's side of the room is actually cleaner than when we moved in and this guy has a white glove and flashight!  My youngest is giving me the "keep your mouth shut look."  I know he does not want me to make trouble, so  I sit back in my chair and watch.  
The inspector keeps finding "small issues."  Small issues I know do not exist because I had just checked those areas, but I am biting my lip.  Then he opens the drawers.  The drawers are lined with shelf paper.  He looks at the youngest and informs him that the paper is not "State issued."  Excuse me!  I could not be quiet a moment longer.  I informed him that the paper was there when we moved in and that I would never spend the time shelf papering a dorm room.  We tore out the paper and went on.  

I finally had to ask him if he had a meeting that afternoon where a suit was needed.  He informed me that he likes to wear a suit when doing check outs because he finds that as the day wears on and parents are getting tired they tend to not yell at him because his suit shows authority.  I have to say that was not what I was thinking, but to each his own.  

The youngest passed the inspection but once the inspector left the room I had a few things to say.  The youngest and the oldest were glad I kept my tongue that long.

Tonight my tongue was challenged in another way.  The oldest had a very disappointing evening and I so wanted to say something about the person that made it disappointing, but I kept my mouth shut.  I am really trying to let him work out his relationship issues by himself and not say anything about someone that might be around for a very long time, but it is very hard. 

3 comments:

Loni said...

Hang in there Mama... you're doing good... but at this rate, you're going to need to take out stock in a lip balm maker.

Loni said...

hmmmm... think I'll take out some stock in lip balm maker... you were remarkably restrained last night as well..

Cheryl said...

So you were impressed with the fact that I did not say "She is being incredibly childish, stubborn, and unreasonable, and you are so whipped. Stand up for what you want to do for a change. Tell her she can stay home instead of going to the party if you have to go on her terms. After all you have been attending this party for years, it is a tradition. All your friends you haven't seen all year will be there. etc." Hell yes I was restrained, but I am still really really pissed and I am hoping with all my might that she does not get permission to come here this weekend because I do not know how civil I can me at this moment. I so wanted to take that phone and throw it in the toilet, but I knew it would cost me another $100.00. How is that for behaving myself. Excuse me. Why is he making that trip 4 times in 2 days? Is she paying for the gas? ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! There, that got some of it out.