Sunday, May 30, 2010

Vacation 2010 - Day Two - May 22

On Saturday we were up at 8:00 A.M. and down to a nice hotel breakfast by 8:20.  The youngest did not eat much because he was still pretty full from the night before.  The oldest did not have that problem.  I enjoyed a bagel and yogurt. 

After breakfast it was back to the room and time to take our showers.  I told the boys I would go last.  The room started to heat up after the first one, but the time the second one was done I was miserable.  I took my shower and had a hot flash immediately after.  I opened the bathroom door and told the boys to get out of the room and to stay gone for at least 15 minutes or until there was a clue I wanted them back. 

I heard the hotel door click and I was out of that bathroom and turning the a/c down to 64. It took several minutes for me to cool down enough to continue getting ready.  Thank goodness the a/c worked as well as it did.

We were back on the road again by 10:00 with about two hours of driving ahead of us.  I'm so glad we stopped in Searcy because there really wasn't much between Searcy and Cherokee Village (CV).  We arrived at CV around noon, but couldn't check in until 1:00 P.M. so I decided we would go on into Hardy.

Hardy is a town that I visited about 2-3 times with my parents when we would go to CV.  Now I know that I was there in 1968 and I think I was even there in 1970, but not since then have I been to CV or Hardy.  It hasn't changed.  It still smells like mold.  It is still just one short street of shops.  I was in shock.  I was expecting it to be more like Hot Springs or Eureka Springs.  

While in Hardy I stopped by one of the river trip canoe rental shops to discuss the trips available for the boys to do on Sunday.  I found out that they had a 3 hour ride that was an easy float down the river, and that after 2 P.M. it was only $20.00.  The boys thought it sounded like a good idea, so we told them we would be back the next day.
We had already established that our choices for lunch were limited, McDonalds (No), KFC/Taco Bell combo (No), a couple of local diners (Maybe).  We finally chose to eat at the Corner Booth Restaurant.  A very interesting place decorated with old dolls.  The food was very inexpensive a good. We were set to go check into the house.

The house was not exactly what I am used to renting. When we arrived the refrigerator was unplugged and open.  We got it up and running but that is very unusual. The view of the lake was very nice.  The downstairs with the third bedroom and newer television was so dark and musty that I could not spend time there. The youngest said he would take that bedroom.  

We left the house to go find my lot.  That will have to be sold.  Then we picked up groceries, fishing license, and worms and it was back to the house to fish.  The fishing was fun. The bluegill were feisty and I caught a big red ear.  Good line play.  I was happy.

Once back in the house we turned on the television to watch a movie, only to have it turn off once it was warmed up.  It happened over and over again.  We finally decided to go to bed.

I told the youngest that if the musty smell bothered him to come on up and sleep in my room.  I was asleep about an hour before he came in and told me that he couldn't sleep because the room sounded like it was full of maracas due to the cicadas.  

I went back to sleep thinking that Sunday would be a good day.


No comments: