Sunday, May 30, 2010

Vacation 2010 - Day One - Friday, May 21

The youngest and I spent the day getting packed and making sure the fishing poles worked, etc.  I was a little miffed because the youngest was supposed to do the laundry while I was at work earlier in the week. He did do the laundry, just not any of mine, so I was running around trying to get laundry done so I would have enough clothes for the trip.

I asked the youngest to put the chairs and the cooler in the car.  It wasn't long before he came tearing into the house while tugging his shirt off.  A spider had bitten him on the chest and he was in quite a bit of pain.  I immediately wondered if it was a brown recluse since we have them around the property.  I also thought that it was a bad omen.  Fortunately, the pain decreased after about ten minutes of ice and we were able to continue on with the packing.

The youngest and I went into town right before it was time to leave and picked up fresh bug spray and sunscreen.  SoBe Vitamin Water was on sale, so I picked up quite a bit of that too. 

Once back home we finished packing and started wondering where the oldest was.  He was to have packed at his apartment and we had sent several texts back and forth reminding him of things to bring.  He finally rolled in close to 2:30 and once he loaded his suitcase we were off. 

First stop, Sonic.  None of us had lunch, so a quick stop at Sonic on 1378 took care of the hunger pains.  Then it was across the street to get ice for the ice chest.  The oldest went in.  He came out wondering about the "Fun Cuffs" that were located by the hunting knives.  We chose not to think about it since we have watched so may episodes of "Criminal Minds." 

Traffic was good until we got to parts of I-30 that were under construction.  That slowed us in several areas but it was okay.  We all noticed the lack of restrooms along I-30.  Really glad to get into Arkansas and the Welcome Center.  The Center was closed but the bathrooms were open.  YEAH!

It was back into the car again with the decision coming up as to where we would stay.  I was hoping to make it to the other side of Little Rock for sure.  Traffic was moving and I wasn't tired, so all was going as planned.

Once we hit Little Rock, I had the oldest look at the map again.  I could still drive a while as long as there was a place to drive to that would have a hotel.  We decided on Searcy.  We made it to Searcy around 9:00 P.M.  and started looking for a hotel.

The first hotel we saw was a Microtel.  It looked nice, but I decided to drive through the parking lot first.  As I drove by the front entrance I noticed a lot of people milling about and there was something about the way they looked that made me say "I don't think so."  They were nice looking people and all, but I was getting a weird vibe off how they were all standing there. 

Next door was a Holiday Inn Express.  It looked nice, new, and no one was milling about.  That was the one.  Extra benefit to this hotel and the first one is that there was an IHOP across the street.  The youngest would be able to eat dinner. 

Now I admit I probably haven't stayed in a hotel since the second to last time my oldest was in a bowling tournament, about 5 years ago.  We always rent houses. that are within a day's driving.  In fact this house would have been within a day's driving if the oldest had not had to work.  Having not been to a hotel in so long, I am not longer a prime member of anything like I was 5 years ago, but I forgot that.

I had decided going in that I would get two rooms.  The oldest and I did that several times at bowling tournaments and it worked out well.  I would usually take at least one other boy with us and they would share a room and I would have a night of peace.  I decided I deserved a night of peace on my vacation, so I asked for two rooms.  The night clerk said he would give me the rooms at Prime Rate and that he did have two rooms close to each other.  Then he gave me the price.  Now the Microtel had its prices on its sign.  I thought being next door this hotel would be competitive.  No.  The bill was going to be $208.  I said "No." That would not work for me.  I was getting a house for the same price a nice he wanted for one room.  He went into some spiel about they were the newest most modern, yada yada yada.  I said "One Room Please."  There we had a room, but we had to share.

As we were checking in the night clerk received a call warning him that the police were searching the parking lot and the parking lot of the Microtel because there had been an attempted rape.  That might have explained all the people standing around when we were driving past the entrance of that hotel.  I decided that it was worth an extra $30.00 to be some where no rape attempts had been reported.  It was also nice because the hotel we were in was hosting the Special Olympians that weekend and it was nice to be surrounded by so many people that were having fun.

When we got to the room I told the boys that I got the bed by the a/c.  Then we left for dinner at IHOP. I have not been to IHOP with the youngest in a while, but he goes every weekend when he is at school.  He has a new regular order French Toast and a Large Stack.  (Yes he always orders two meals when he eats breakfast out, no matter what time of day).  I had a heart friendly turkey bacon, egg substitute something or other, and the oldest had eggs, and I don't know what all on his plate.  The waitress was really good, I was so pleased to have good service when I was so tired.  I had to laugh though because the youngest finished all his meals but 1/2 a pancake.  The waitress asked him if he was done and reached for his plate.  The oldest had his mouth full and couldn't say anything but he reached out and stopped her from taking the plate and then put the plate in front of him.  She said to me "Oh they share."  I just nodded and smiled.  

After dinner it was back to the hotel.  I'm not even sure we turned the television on.  I worked on puzzles, the youngest read, and the oldest turned on his netbook to work on a newspaper article he had due.  We set a wake up call for 8 A.M. and it was lights out after a very short time. 

It wasn't long after everyone was asleep that I heard several things being knocked off the table and a loud thump.  I looked over and the oldest had knocked the youngest out of bed.  The youngest was still asleep with this feet on the bed but his head on the floor.  I got out of bed and put him back to bed.  About an hour later the same thing happened again.  I was up several times through the night putting the youngest back to bed.  

In the morning the oldest was the only one that said he had a good night's sleep. 

All in all the trip was going great.  I was excited about getting to Cherokee Village the next day. 

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Thank goodness y'all have separate beds at the vacation house! You'll be able to sleep knowing the youngest isn't getting kicked out of bed!

Enjoy your time away!