Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rare Treat

Yesterday was full of rare treats.

I spent the late morning and early afternoon with my adopted daughter, Mina.  Months ago she agreed to bake for the church bake sale we are having today. Mina has such a crazy travel schedule I barely get to see her, but I do enjoy time with her.  I offered her my kitchen to bake in so we could spend time together, and on the off chance she could study.  She did not get to study, but she made lots of goodies for the bake sale and we had some great quality time. 

Late in the afternoon, I was able to have an early dinner with my two boys and my other adopted daughter, Loni.  Since I have not actually laid eyes on my oldest since the second week of August, it was very nice to see him, even if I think his hair is too long and there was a strange moment at the table when I thought he had lost all the manners I had drilled to him over his life at home (turns out the chicken tenders were really hot). 

At dinner, my oldest informed me he was coming back up to the house to get a television stand and television I had in storage for his apartment.  I questioned how he planned on moving these items to his apartment, since I knew they would not fit in his car in one trip and I knew he would not drive with the trunk tied down.  He assured me he could at least get one thing per trip.  The youngest then said he would come back to the house to help his brother load the items into the car.  I then suggested that they both just go back to the house with me in the van, which would hold all the items, and I would deliver them both back to campus, if they were willing to run my two errands with me first.  The vote was for me to bring them back to the house in the van. 

They were able to the television, the stand, a bicycle, and more clothes into the van and spend a few minutes relaxing.  The oldest was pleased to have furniture to sit on for a few minutes since they only have a folding chair in their living room.  The youngest was able to get the water bottle I begged him to take when he moved out.  Everyone seemed to leave happy. 

I hope that my visits with my oldest won't be so far apart, but after hearing his schedule it will probably be weeks and weeks before I see him again. 

The youngest should be home again on Friday. 

2 comments:

Loni said...

and we had the added bonus that your youngest even admitted that he was glad that he had attended TAMS... woohoo!

Unknown said...

It was nice getting the time to see you as I haven't had much time to visit lately, between studying and my travel schedule.

Glad that you also got time with the boys, particularly your eldest.